Monday, February 11, 2013

Letter



Stage 1
Read the letter, and answer the following question!
What are the characteristics of  informal and friendly letter?
                                                                    Flat 3
                                                                                 156 Centenary Road,
                                                                                 Mumbai,
                                                                                 India
                                                                                 June 15th

Dear Rosemary,
I’ve just received your letter-thanks. It was nice to hear from you.
Well, we’ve been here for three weeks already. I still can’t believe it. But things have definitely improved since the bus left us at the roadside on that first day. For a minute I wanted to turn round and go home again. You know me, I am a great pessimist. But Mariel always thinks everything is going to be fine. In less than a day she had found us a flat and here we are.
I’ve found myself a job giving private conversation classess. Not quite what I’m used to, but it’s still teaching and my students are lovely. Mariel hasn’t got a job yet, but she’s made contact with various people in the film industry here and hopes she’ll get work soon.
So the big news is, we’ve made our decision. We’ve decided to stay. This is our home.
Please give my love to David and the kids. Why not come and visit us soon?
Lots of love,
Brenda
a.       Where is Brenda writing from?
b.      How did she and Mariel get there?
c.       How did she feel when she first arrived? How does she feel now?
d.      What differences are there between Brenda’s and Mariel’s character?
e.       What is Brenda’s job? What is Mariel’s?
f.       Who is David?
g.      How formal is the letter? How do you know?

No comments:

Post a Comment